You are quite aware of the fact that majority of the married couples stay as a nuclear family far away from their home. Mainly, in the cities, you will find both the parents are professionals.
Leaving far away from family members and being job holders will definitely let their child alone at home with no mom, dad, grandma or any relative. To cope up for this and take care of the child during their absence from home, many parents seek babysitters or nannies.
Are you one of them? Then this piece of writing is really going to be helpful for you.
Be Cautious while Choosing
You should have these in mind while choosing a babysitter
1. Try to get a faithful person or a family related one.
2. Get some suggestions from friends having kids and discuss childcare with them.
3. Observe the reaction of your child to have the news of a babysitter coming for him and also listen to the opinion of your child about the babysitter afterward.
4. Meet the babysitter in advance and check the references.
5. Ensure whether he or she knows about first aid and CPR.
6. If the babysitter is too young then inquire whether he or she has taken the babysitting classes.
7. For a demo allow them to spend some time with your kid and you, which will help to determine whether he is the perfect one for your baby or not.
8. One of the best thing you can do is to hire them first as your helper and help them observe the kids.
Background Check of a Babysitter
When it comes to finding a babysitter for your child trusting anyone with a gentle smile is not accepted. A gentle smile is not enough to hire a sitter. To give your kid in a safe hand you need to have a background check of the candidate ensuring your child gets the best care in your absence.
Many babysitters get their background check done from earlier and produce the result while the interview. There are many efficient online sites available now getting the background check done for you at an affordable price. So, never miss doing this.
Questions to be Asked
For getting more acquainted with the babysitter, here are few questions that you must throw at a potential babysitter before hiring.
1. How many kids can you handle at once? How many have you handled in the past?
2. Do you have any children?
3. What irritates you the most?
4. What are your hobbies?
5. How will you handle my child?
6. Do you have any experience of dealing with an emergency scenario?
7. Give an instance of an emergency situation before in your life and how you managed.
8. How would you make a child disciplined?
9. Do you have any problem with pets?
10. Are you fine with putting kids to bed?
11. How are you going to come here?
12. Can you give me some references of yours?
13. Are you ready to do some other things like cleaning, cooking, etc apart from babysitting?
14. Are you comfortable with the background check of yours to be done?
15. What’s your qualification and why should I hire you?
16. Is there any health issues with you?
17. How are you going to babysit?
18. What will you do if in case the children don’t go along with you?
19. What will be your timing and for what span are you going to work?
Signs of a Good Babysitter you Must Know
1. She gets genuinely happy seeing your child.
2. She has respect for your time.
3. She always tries to stay connected.
4. Your child is happy with her and warms up to her.
5. You get home to see your child clean without any messes left.
6. No accidents with your child.
7. In any issue, she gets ready with the best solution and cooperates with you to offer a reliable childcare service.
Difference between Babysitters and Nannies
Babysitters supervise children of any age for very short period. Most of the sitters work either regularly or occasionally. Their major responsibilities are playing with the kids, watching them, making them sleep, etc. Many of them have been trained in CPR and first-aid. They get paid as per hours and get extra payment for extra services like cooking, housekeeping, tutoring, etc.
A nanny is a person completely dedicated to a child’s development and welfare. A nanny works generally for full time when parents are out. It is the sole responsibility of nannies to prepare daily schedules and make your child engaged in healthy activities for their physical, emotional and mental growth. Most of them have to drop and pick the child at and from the school, cook, do household chores, etc. A nanny who goes back to their home after work is known as live-out nannies while those who stay with the family are called live-in nanny.
Should you prefer a teenage babysitter or an adult?
Although, teenage refers to one who has grown up but is not enough to describe the maturity. Teenagers are not matured enough to handle your child. They are yet not acquainted with the ABCs of babysitting. They still have the major part of their root dug in the soil of childhood. So, how can they handle another child safely?
If you are more concerned about the safe and efficient handling of your child then you must go for an adult babysitter. They are able to carry more responsibilities and duties than the teens. They build a bond with the child and care for him as his parent. In other words, they work like co-parents for your child.
In the case of any emergency, a teen may not be able to handle the situation but an adult can tackle it in your absence. Apart from this, an adult who is also a parent will take care of your child as he does for his own child. So, it’s a wise decision to choose an adult as a babysitter for your child.
Never show any form of negligence when you are hiring a babysitter for your child. Babysitters come from various backgrounds and differ in many ways. So, it’s your responsibility to follow the right way and choose the right one for your child. Follow the above tips and Go ahead in your search!